Saturday, May 20, 2017

Kunta Hora

I spent yesterday on a day trip to Kunta Hora, it is a UNESCO site (designation of the best historic sites).  It was a famous silver mine that started in the 1200's and was the wealthiest city in the Czech Republic until the 1700's.  Very nice city, fun to walk around.  There were great churches, a tour of the mint where they made all their coins and a famous bone chapel.  The bone chapel is what it says, a monk hundreds of years ago took the bones collected from bodies preserved during the plague and made decorations of them, including a large chandelier.  It is very famous and draws people from around the world.  I am told there some that consider it pretty morbid, and I must admit I am in that category.  I didn't spend much time there.


The church was built by the people who owned the mine, so many of the statues were of miners



Beautiful stained glass windows throughout the church





Bone chapel, pretty creepy....

1 comment:

  1. The churches are beautiful but I have to agree the bone chapel is pretty morbid.

    ReplyDelete