Thursday, May 28, 2015

The call to Prayer, day 2

As I noted yesterday, I woke very groggy to the call to prayer very early in the morning (about 4:30 am).  Today, as I have not kicked over on time yet, I was awake when it happened.  Lasted for about a minute at 4:30 am and was a person chanting/singing over very loud speakers.  Reminds me of when parts of the Catholic mass were in Latin (as I had no idea what they were saying).  My hotel is at least a mile from the closest mosque and it was loud enough to wake me from a deep sleep.

Listening to some narrative on my cruise yesterday, they said the morning prayer is as the sun is ready to rise (defined historically as when you can see enough to differentiate gray hair from non-gray hair) and the evening dusk prayer is when your shadow is twice the length of your height.  Fascinating to see how things were defined centuries ago.  I have a full day tour with a guide today and hope to see all the key sites

No comments:

Post a Comment