Monday, June 1, 2015

Finally the meal I was waiting for...

When I come to Italy, I can pretty much tell you the majority of my meals.  Caprese salad and the fresh pasta of the day.  I had dinner at the hotel last night and it was good, but they didn't have Caprese (what?) and the pasta was good, but had squash in it, which is not my favorite.  In an effort to counter that, I went to Yelp and found the top rated place in the city.  One of the best things about Italy is, even the best places are not really more expensive than the others. 

On Yelp, they noted that you will never get in for dinner without a reservation days in advance, but if you go at lunch, it should be OK.  I went and was able to get in.  Small place, just 2 people (a cook and a waiter) and 8 tables. 



The chef was very busy and was the only one cooking.  The food was wonderful and they had half bottles of wine.  Only downside, I still have my hike today and would have preferred my big meal after, but that's the price you pay for good food. 

The group at the table next to me was interesting.  Two couples from New Jersey.  I don't want to say they fit the Housewives of New Jersey stereotype, but they kept referring to their husbands as Goombah's and when it came to pay, they only had 500 euro bills.  Draw your own conclusions.


Their version of a de-constructed Caprese.  Not the traditional version, but it was very good.

 
Ravioli.  I wasn't sure when I saw the green sauce, but it was very good.  This will prepare me for the meat and potatoes I will face in Germany starting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment