Wednesday, June 3, 2015

My hotel in Staufen

I have found my hotel in Staufen very interesting.  Nice hotel with a restaurant.  Anne selected it for me as it was highly rated and very reasonable (about $75 a night).  When I decided where to eat last night, I did a yelp search and found the best restaurant in town was the one in my hotel.  So, I decided to eat here.  What I found out was the owner who checked me in is the Chef and this wife the waitress in the restaurant. They were also there at breakfast this morning, what long days.  The thing that amazed me was the dinner I had was one of the best I have had in a long time.  Trip advisor said that his fixed price menu (very common in Europe, fixed price for appetizer, main dish and desert) was always very good and often unique.  Given this, I decided to have it.

When I arrived, they sent the assistant chef out to go over the menu with me as it was in German and he was the only one who spoke any English.  I quickly informed him I wanted the price fix, even though I really didn't know what it was (his English was not that good).  I figured, trust the cook hope that this is one of his best dishes.  Turned out to be a good call.  Nothing like I expected to get at a small hotel in Germany.  Tonight, I think I will need to seek out the traditional schnitzel.

Prawn and Prosciutto appetizer

Monk fish and spinach entrée.

No comments:

Post a Comment