Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Ljubljana

Ljubljana is the capital of Slovenia and only an hour from Lake Bled.  It was nice to have a short drive and I arrived before noon.  I dropped my stuff and headed to the Tourist Information office where I had seen they have a walking tour.  I went in, asked for the noon walking tour and was a little surprised it was more than I thought it would be ($30 euros instead of $15 euros).  What I didn't realize was, I was expecting the normal 2 hour walking tour, but on Wednesday only, they do a 3 hour taste of Slovenia tour.  I didn't find out until we were ready to leave and figured, hey, I haven't eaten lunch, this sound like fun, and it was. 

It was 5 of us and a guide.  She took us to five different restaurants around town, each having an appetizer size serving and discussed what Slovenia was known for.  It was very nice and I am glad I inadvertently signed up for it.

First stop, a traditional wine and local sausage.  Slovenia is known for
it's sausage and it was very good.  Wine was from when they made wine
centuries ago to turn un-drinkable water into something safe to drink.
Unfortunately, it tasted like it. 

During the first stop, birds would land on the table and "peck"
at peoples arms to try to get a piece of bread (look by his elbow)



Beef tongue and horse radish.  I tried it, but it was not my thing.

We didn't eat here, but notice horse on the menu on the left side.
Apparently, it's common in Slovenia, but not on our menu today (thank god)

Traditional chicken and potatoes.  Potatoes were great.  They were boiled,
pealed and mixed with caramelized unions.  Very good.

Dessert breads and walnut brandy.  Served at a rooftop
restaurant in the center of the city.

View from the restaurant

1 comment:

  1. Great photos throughout this blog. Love the day by day stories. Thanks for sharing all of this!

    ReplyDelete