Friday, June 5, 2015

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Today I reached Rothenburg ob der Tauber, consider the best medieval towns in Germany.  Well maintained and generally as it was about 900 years ago.  According to my tour, the town was at the intersection of two trade routes, which gave it a great source of revenue and they used it to build out the city.  The city is still completely walled.  Here is a view of the southern portion:

 
When I notice the tower on the right, I had to go up top. Great view, but very tight spaces.
 
View of Franciscan Church built in 1258
 
View of St. Jacob's church.  A possible starting point for
 the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage.
 
Statue of a pilgrim indicating this was on the extended path of the Camino de Santiago. Pilgrims would walk the path to northwest Spain, marked along the way with these sea shells.  They were unique to this part of Spain and pilgrims would bring one back as proof they made it.  I was familiar with the Camino, but didn't realize they came from this far.  Most start on the French-Spanish border, starting this far up in Germany would be quite a distance (about 1,300 miles).  Most of the hiking trails I have seen have a modern sign with the shell symbol on them.
 
 
 
Courtyard near my hotel

City Council Chambers


City pharmacy.  Much nicer than the local CVS
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment